Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fooled

So I used gmail for all of my non-school and non-work emails and yesterday when I logged on I saw this new thing that they had called G-Mail Custom Time. It allows you to send emails back in time which would be useful if you forget someone's birthday or forgot to send something important by a deadline. You could mark it as read or unread and supposedly it would show up in the person's inbox appearing like it had been sent at the time you want it to (you can go back up to April 2004 when Gmail first started up). That way if a friends says " you forgot my birthday last week!" you could send the email back a week and just say "check your inbox!" The friend would then see that they had somehow missed your birthday greeting.

Had I actually read the website closer I would have sensed the sarcasm with lines such as this explanation for why each gmail user only gets to use custom time 10 times per year: "Our researchers have concluded that allowing each person more than ten pre-dated emails per year would cause people to lose faith in the accuracy of time, thus rendering the feature useless."

Anyway as one of the most gullible people on this planet I fell for it, thought it sounded like a horrible thing to be able to do. I was finally alerted to my stupidity at lunch yesterday with some grad student friends who had all realized the April Fool's day joke immediatly.

Happy April everyone! I still was wearing my down jacket this morning so I hope I get to see some Spring soon....

1 comment:

Kamna said...

hahaha...haha

i'm laughing but...i fell for it too :( along with a friend that prank called me at 2 am and definitely made me believe she was in jail :( i am not a big fan of april fool's day. we need to be less gullible.

can't wait for sat either!! debating starting a blog...but i'm scared! what if it's boring!