Monday, April 14, 2008

Adventures with Julie (coolest mom ever)

My mom has been in Jakarta, Indonesia for over a month now for work. After finishing season's 2 and 3 of Lost on DVD she realized she had no more excuses not to venture out and see the sights.

Since being over there she has visited Bali and Penang and has emailed me pictures periodically. As she is having way cooler adventures than I am, and most of the people who read this blog know her, have met her or are related to her, I thought it would be fun to put them up!

Also Jeopardy was awesome but I'm going to hold off on writing about it until I have some pictures to post...it'll be well worth the wait!


Guesthouse in Bali where she stayed for 3 days. Fortunately there was no drug smuggling done. The consequence in Bali (and Indonesia in general) is death and people are guilty until proven innocent. When I was studying abroad in Australia this happened to an Australian girl who went to Bali for a 2 week vacation. It was the biggest news story at the time and we watched the trial on TV. The story was that marijuana was put in her bag at the airport in Melbourne (there is a known drug ring that works the airports so you always should lock your checked baggage) and was supposed to be taken out while the bag was being transferred from one plane to another during a layover in Sydney. For some reason this didn't happen and the bag made it all the way to Bali. She got off "easy" and was sentenced to 20 years in a Bali prison. As far as I know she is still there, there was nothing the Australian government could do and she was lucky she didn't get the death sentence.

Bali rice paddies...maybe now my mom will finally appreciate where her rice comes from...

Mom with giant puppets...not creepy!



Token shot of adorable school children.



Raining sunshine! Probably trying to cut in line because she is an American.
Mom was locked up but she bribed the guards with promises of her beautiful daughter's hand in marriage and was let out. Oh on a totally different note she bought me a ticket to visit Indonesia next month!!! She won't be there anymore but I guess wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any school.




After a stressful day in jail she went to the local fish market in Penang to pick up some dinner.





At a mosque in Penang, trying not being suspicious.




Riding in a tuk tuk, a common form of transportation. Mom always travels in style.




Relaxing by the water after a long day of strolling, snapping pictures, tasting local cuisine and buying her daughter amazing and expensive one-of-a-kind gifts (???)

2 comments:

Kamna said...

i was just catching up on my adventures reading! you are going to Indonesia??? wow!!! i am SO JEALOUS! but does that mean you are still coming home..... :)

Kyla said...

Haha no I'm not going anytime SOON but hopefully someday? Want to come?? That was just a joke about my mom selling me into an arranged marriage to get out of jail. :)

I'll still be home early June!