Tuesday, March 18, 2008

O'Olson and O'Taylor on St. Pattys Day!

I visited Kate at school yesterday. After waking up I took the tram to where she works, it was actually quite an anxious experience because I had two major problems. The first was that after getting on I realized I was in the wrong section of the train to buy a tram ticket so I had to "black ride" (ride illegally). If they had been checking tickets there is a 20-40 Euro fine. The second problem was I didn't know how to open the door to get off the tram. I was worried I'd be stuck on there for stop after stop after I wanted to get off and then not be able to find my way back! Luckily someone else was getting off at my stop so it wasn't a problem.

We had bagels and lattes at a little cafe for lunch and then walked over to the Dresden International School. It was really fun to watch the classes. The 6th graders did little musicals to the Frog Prince and the 9th graders (true nightmares) "danced" to Chicago. I seriously don't know how Kate keeps her patience so well with those older kids, they were awful! Never listening, always trying to act too cool and impress one another.

I decided to walk around a little bit before Kate was done for the day and whoops! I accidentally ended up in the gigantic mall called Alte Galerie which has 3 floors of all the best stores in Germany! I don't know how I wandered in there! Sadly the only thing I could afford was an Obst Salate (fruit salad, because fruit is very cheap here).

After that I picked up Kate from school and we headed for home, stopping briefly at the local Döner (kebab) place where the owner told us a few too many times that he was madly in love with us (Kate stops by all the time.) He served us some green tea and a delicious Döner. Döners originate from Turkey and Germany's large Turkish population is the reason for their widespread sale here. Wikipedia says that Germans consume 200 to 300 metric tonnes of Döner per day!
With Döner man who squeezed us a wee bit too tight....looks like he is pickpocketing me!

Kate is excited about the döners.

Then in honor of St. Patty's day we went back to the Shamrock pub and had a couple pints of Guinness and German cider.


mmmm! O'Taylor has a Guiness!O'Olson looks like a Leprechaun!

No comments: