Wednesday, March 26, 2008

LONDON

I arrived in London after an hourlong flight. I didn't know who was going to meet me. I have two friends who live in London, Liza who is an old college friend and Max a friend from my summers at Camp Manito-wish. I told both I was arriving but when I got off the plance no one was there! I decided to wait around for a bit and good thing I did because there was Liza!!!! I haven't seen her for years and it was so nice to finally catch up. Sadly I missed Max who did show up but must have been after we left.

We took the tube into downtown London ($20!!!!) and decided to hit up the most touristy location, Piccadilly Cirus. It reminded me of Times Square with all the billboards, etc.

It was a chilly but gorgeous night and we walked around a little bit looking for a good place to eat. We finally settled on an Indian restaurant nearby (mainly because a guy gave us a %10 off coupon!). It was delicious and reminded me of our many trips to Chapati, my favorite Indian restaurant in Northfield where we went to college.

After we ate we decided to walk around. Easter is a huge deal and everything was closed on Easter Sunday. However we walked down to the Thames River and along the river for a while. We saw lots of landmarks but weren't totally sure what they were. We did see a sign for Westminister Abby which was gorgeous at nighttime!

The London eye and a view from the Thames (courtesy of the internet)

Then my camera broke which I guess has been a long time coming (I got it in 2005 before going to Australia and it has melted in the Australian sun, riden an elephant in Thailand, travelled around Germany on two different occasians and has been abused at countless bars in Northfield, Minneapolis, North Carolina and Madison).

Suddenly it was close to the time the tube was going to shut down (they stop at 11:30) so we hopped on and I said goodbye to Liza. Then I rode the rest of the hourlong journey across from various suspicious looking people.
It was so wonderful to see her but it wasn't for long enough. I didn't sleep a wink that night in the hotel because I was paranoid about missing my flight. I got out of my gigantic king size bed around 5:30am and took the bus to the airport. My flight left around 9am and I was back in America 8 hours later.

So now I am back in Madison almost completely broke (with a broken laptop and computer!). Its great to hear that UNC AND Wisconsin are both in the Sweet 16!!! I can't wait to watch them play on Thursday and Friday.
Hopefully I'll have my computer back and pictures up by this weekend.

No comments: