Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Danger in the Northwoods

I am back in Madison after a weekend "Up North". To Wisconsin folks this term means northern Wisconsin.

Mali, Matt, Sean and I headed north to Minocqua, WI where Mali's parents live in a beautiful house with their two dogs, Angel and Tater Tot. Mali brought her black lab Lucy and we had a house full of black and white dog hair. Even though I'm not usually a big fan of small dogs I immediately fell in love with Tater. How could I not!?!


We arrived Friday night and grilled out on Mali's deck. We munched on grilled asparagus, pepperjack cheeseburgers and a delicious American Flag cake that Mali's mom made with fresh strawberries and blueberries. We also drank traditional Wisconsin beer. I tried different kinds (and liked most of them) but my favorite will always be Spotted Cow by New Glarus.


Tradional Wisconsin Man after finishing a PBR:
On Saturday we geared up in our American clothing and headed to Manito-wish waters for the 4th of July. We tooled around in a friend's pontoon boat, swam in the water with Tater, painted the boys' toenails in red, white and blue, ate more cheeseburgers and drank more beer. At night we went out in the boat with all of Mali's parents' awesome friends to watch the fireworks.

America!!


Matt's toes:

Mali and Tater:
Tater in the spirit:

Before the fireworks we stopped the boat at Little Bohemia Restaurant parts of the movie Public Enemies with Johnny Depp and Christain Bale was filmed. It is also an old lodge where the real John Dillinger (played by Johnny Depp) and his gang stayed and later escaped out an upper window from the FBI. Legend has it Dillinger buried a suitcase full of money somewhere on the grounds. Despite extensive searches, it has yet to be recovered. Little Bohemia, now a restaurant, also has the original windows and walls filled with real bullet holes from the gunfire during Dillinger's escape.

We went out that night and found a place called the Broken Oar which had $1 shots of ANYTHING, even top shelf. We may or may not have indulged.

The next day was our last full day so we spent it relaxing in the sun, riding the ATV and water skiing.

Teaching the boys cribbage (we skunked them!)

Relaxing in the sunshine:
Mali and I on the ATV, we found it an ideal way to take Lucy for a run:
Me taking off before "the accident"

I got a little too enthusiastic on one of my shore landings while skiing and came straight into the shore at top speed. It happended so fast I didn't have time to turn and I somehow managed to drop my slalom ski in the water and then flew what seemed like 20 feet through the air. I landed in the sand and couldn't get up for a while because I was so stunned. I didn't hit my head or break any bones so I was physically fine, but I didn't mentally recover for a few hours.

Sitting up but not really with it:
Covered in sand while crying and laughing simultaneously:Sean inspecting the rouge ski, I flew from the ski to a little past where this picture was taken.
We ate kababs that night and took it easy. The boys went to bed around 10:00pm and Mali and I watched Harry Potter.

What did I learn? Only the strong survive a long weekend in the Northwoods.

No comments: