Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Hello from Germany!!!

I made it to Dusseldorf from Newark in an easy 7.5 hours. I watched Breaking Dawn (Part II) and forced myself to sleep for a couple hours. I arrived at 6:10am Germany time (1:00am EST) and waited around for Anna and Kate--who were NOT there to greet me on time (what!!?)--and Lindsay who arrived at 8:40am. 

When I went through customs I was SO prepared to answer in Germany when they asked me why I was in the country. "Meine Freunde's JUNGESELLENABSCHIED!!!" (My friend's bachelorette party!!!). But even though I tried to look as shifty as possible, the customs man didn't even ask! I have been speaking lots of German though, EVEN when they tried to shut me up by talking back to me in english.

We left the airport and took the train to Kate's friend Chris's house and headed out for brunch. 

 
  
 

After that we took showers and packed up for our train to Cologne.
The trip was a quick 40 minutes. We were met at the train station by Kate's fiance, Sebastian, who greeted us with beers! Kolsch is Cologne's special brew.
 
 One of Sebastian's friends graciously let us stay at her apartment only one block (aka 7 blocks) from the train station! This may not sound like a big deal but Anna packed a bunch of bricks so it was a bit stressful (see all of Anna's bags below)

After arriving at the apartment we had a few more drinks (more Kolsch)
 
 Afterwards we walked to a nearby restaurant for a traditional German meal of chicken wings, bacon wrapped dates, french fries, and bread with goat cheese and honey. Also, a special treat thanks to Sebastian: champagne!

Cheers to Cologne!
Oh no! I am getting really sleepy! Opps I just fell asleep so I should go!
Thanks, Sebastian, for engaging Kate so we had an excuse to come out to Germany and party machen!
I miss you little blade!!
 
Tomorrow we head out for shopping and a visit to the famous Dom! Stay tuned!

No comments: