Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 1 in Yellowstone: BEARS!

Thursday night I arrived back in North Carolina after spending 6 amazing days in Montana, Wyoming, and Yellowstone National Park.

We flew into Bozeman on Saturday and drove straight down to the Park. My mom spent all her college summers working in the park so it is always fun going back with her and hearing her crazy stories. We went through the Roosevelt bridge/the north entrance around 5:30pm and I hoped to see a Bison or two, but NEVER in my wildest dreams did I expect to see what we saw:

A BEAR, a very rare sight in the Park:
I've been to Yellowstone a dozen times in my life, I spent a month backpacking through the Beartooth mountains in Montana when I was 16 and a month hiking through the Wind River Range in Wyoming when I was 22 (both locations know to be Grizzly bear country) and yet I have NEVER EVER, not even from far away, seen a bear.

So I was even more shocked when I saw a SECOND black bear on the side of the road:
By the time we saw TWO MORE black bears right next to the road I was starting to get annoyed at all the other cars slowing down to take pictures. I mean come on, it was just two black bears! Take a quick picture and move on!

(the one on the right is hidden a little bit by the brush):
Then we saw it, an animal I have always longed to see but was my greatest fear when I was in the back country, a GRIZZLY:



And that was our first day.

Coming soon: Day 2 in Yellowstone: Buffalo stampede

No comments: