Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dirty Southern Monkey Business

I haven't lived in Madison, Wisconsin since 2009, but I was so excited to see that I am still a part of the Monkey Business Institute family! As you can see from the facebook snapshot below, I am in the picture! I like to think this is because everyone wants me to come back and just thinks of me as being on a long vacation....but it is probably because they haven't gotten around to a new photo shoot. WHATEVER the reason, I think it is cool to still be connected.

Monkey Business is where my improv life started and I have the BEST memories of all our classes, our practices, our shows, and of course all of wonderful improvisers I got to work with.

This was where I found my favorite thing in the world! I do improv to mentally escape, to challenge myself, to learn, to live in the moment, and most importantly to play and have fun.




Now I live in Carrboro, NC and I have a new family at Dirty South Improv (DSI). I adore my new community and get to play in lots of shows. This summer I've been especially immersed, being at the theater 3-5 nights a week. It's awesome; not just because I PASSED MY QUALIFIER (did I mention that?) and don't have classes this summer, but because I'm working with new people and different combinations of people all the time. Everyday is a new experience and I've been having those A-HA moments pretty regularly. (Also there are lots of WTF moments which are exciting too).

My next challenge is to MC a show. I haven't done this before and it makes me super nervous. More nerves than a regular show. I don't know why this makes me more nervous than when I am a player in a show, but I actually cried in practice the other day because I felt so overwhelmed! I've watched people MC shows a thousand times yet I still get tongue tied. However, even though I am scared out of my mind, I am excited to do it. The nerves and adrenaline keep me from becoming complacent and keep me in the moment, good or bad. I really really really hope it's not bad!

No comments: