Tuesday, October 27, 2009

State Fair!

I recovered enough this past weekend from being sick to attend the NC State Fair! I used to go every year as a kid and I still love it. My mom and I went the very last day it was open and luckily the weather was nice and cool.

I saw the deep fried twinkies, deep fried pb&j's, deep fried oreos, chocolate covered bacon on a stick, and my favorite: deep fried cheddar nuggets at the Hot Wisconsin Cheese stand. I think this is funny because these are the same thing as Wisconsin cheese curds but named differently so as not to scare off potential customers. "Curds" doesn't sound quite as appetizing down here....but I guess "nuggets" does?

We saw all the animals, my favorites were the piglets all in a pile.

We also saw the live bears but resisted checking out the spider woman (woman torso and spider legs)....oh well!

I had a great time and was exhausted at the end of the day.

On Friday night I went out with some girlfriends. We started out the evening tasting some new beers. Our favorite was called Delirium aka "pink elephant". It was very strong but delicious.

We continued the night at my favorite roof-top bar that overlooks the sprawling down-town Chapel Hill area and ended the evening dancing away, I mean reading novels, at a bar called The Library.


No comments: